Friday, August 21, 2009

Laurel


Name: Laurel
Pattern: Laurel by Jared Flood (from Made in Brooklyn by Jared Flood)
Craft: Knitting
Made for me :)
Size: 10.5 inch diameter
Start date: August 17, 2009
Completed date: August 19, 2009
Needle size: US3/3.25mm and US7/4.5mm
Yarn: Cascade Yarns 220 Wool
How much? 1 skein = 220.0 yards (201.2m)
Colour: 9484 Stratosphere
See it on Ravelry!


I am such a huge fan of Jared Flood! I love his work and the patterns he designs. I find them to be very intricate, yet the design and patterns are simple. When I found out that he was releasing a booklet with Classic Elite Yarn, I knew I had to get my hands on it asap! Before the released date, I was calling all the yarn stores near me to see which stores will be caring it. I was heartbroken when I was told by store after store that they will not be carrying his book. I was also shocked, it's not like I live in a little town so I don't have access to lots of stores...I live in Toronto and non of the stores I called were carrying it. So then I decided to search the internet for it. Again, more hurdles. Shipping to Canada was $15 for some of the sites. Why would I pay $15 for shipping for a tiny book (smaller than a magazine) that cost $18? Thankfully, I found it on Webs for $20 (including the shipping cost to Canada)!

I was so ecstatic when the book arrived. It was like an early Christmas for me! I knew that I had to cast on this hat instantly. I was obsessively knitting this hat for two days because I couldn't wait to see the finished product and I couldn't wait to cast on other projects in the book.

I have knitted lots of his designs, so I had very high standards for Jared. I was a bit disappointed when I was knitting this hat. Was there not an editor or a test knitter? Was I the first to knit this pattern? There were lots of little gaps and minor things that were overlooked in the pattern. I kept notes as I found them, and here they are:
  1. Row 1: pattern states m1-l, but there’s no description about how to do this in the abbreviations, so I just did m1 (which is instructed in the abbreviations).
  2. The cable on row 8, row 12, etc. There’s no description on how to do this in the glossary, but you can look at the picture and guess what to do (send me a msg if u can’t guess)
  3. Marker placement will change at the end of:
  • row 15 (not row 16)
  • row 17 (not row 18)
  • row 32 (not 33) should be worked as instructed for row 18 (not what is written in the pattern)
  • row 34 (not row 35) should be worked as instructed for row 16 (not what is written in the pattern)
  • row 46 (not row 47)
  • row 53 is the last row (even though the pattern states there’s a row 54, it is the instruction for row 53)
Nonetheless, I was very happy in the end. This hat was a beautiful design. Probably one of my favourite Jared Flood designs. I used a 10.5 inch dinner plate to block this hat. I can't wait to wear this in the winter time!

As soon as this was done, I had to cast on the Grove mittens. I'm done knitting the left mitten now, so stay tuned! But here is a little sneak peak...



1 comment:

  1. I have bought this pattern also, can you explain to me what the gap it the chart means, first chart knitting I have done

    ReplyDelete